In Horizon 2020 Open Access to Scientific Peer Reviewed Publications has been anchored as an ‘underlying principle’. This means that it has become obligatory for all projects to ensure open access to all peer-reviewed scientific publications relating to their results (free, online access for any user). Open Access is compatible with copyright, peer review, preservation, prestige, quality, career-advancement, indexing, and other features and supportive services associated with conventional scholarly literature. Read more
Guidelines on publishing
Researchers wanting to publish results achieved under ACTRIS-2 and/or ACTRIS PPP, need to ensure open access to all their peer-reviewed scientific publications relating to their results.
Therefore, researchers must make sure to publish their works according to the following procedure:
- They need to publish their work on a journal of their choice, making sure that this journal offers an Open Access mode;
- They also need to publish their work on an online repository (also known as online archive), again in Open Acces mode. In this way, their work will be available for an undetermined period of time, and not only until the journal is available or exists.
- They can make use of the OpenAIRE portal provided by the EC. This step is not compulsory but it is strongly recommended by EC guidelines. OpenAIRE can be used for two purposes:
- it can function simply as a research engine, for researchers to find a suitable online repository which provides Open Access, in case they do not have a preferred one yet;
- authors can also upload their publication directly on OpenAIRE, which functions as an online directory itself (through the service Zenodo). This step substitutes point 2). Uploading a publication on OpenAIRE will make sure that the article will be linked to ACTRIS projects (while uploading the publication, the form asks whether the publication is linked to any EU funded project).
Guidelines for reporting
Publications are an integral part of ACTRIS projects. For this reason, they will need to be reported in detail to the European Commission. The procedure to follow for researchers is:
- Either uploading their publication on OpenAIRE (step 3 of the Guidelines on publishing) and link it to ACTRIS-2 and/or ACTRIS PPP;
- If they prefer not to upload their publication on OpenAIRE, they will need to send the DOI number (Digital Object Identifier) to the ACTRIS Coordination offices ( ACTRIS-2: email@example.com, ACTRIS PPP: firstname.lastname@example.org ).
All publications must include the statement that the results were generated with the assistance of EU financial support (Article 38.1.2, GA). Thus, any communication activity related to ACTRIS projects must:
- Display the EU emblem;
- Include the following text for:
- ACTRIS-2: "This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 654109."
- ACTRIS PPP: "This project is supported by the European Commission under the Horizon 2020 – Research and Innovation Framework Programme, H2020-INFRADEV-2016-2017, Grant Agreement number: 739530".
||This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 654109.