University of Helsinki, together with various collaborators, is proud to announce a two-week field course, "Physics, Chemistry and Biology of Air Pollution and their Effects". The course is held at Hyytiälä Forestry Field Station, Southern Finland, 5-16 October 2015.
The 5-ECTS course is based on intensive group works. The main topics included in the course are:
- Biogenic Aerosols – Effects on Clouds and Climate
- Ecosystem-atmosphere exchange of greenhouse gases and trace gases
- Feedback loops related to atmosphere-biosphere interactions
The specific training in core and transferable skills includes:
- Introduction to SMEAR II station
- Statistical analysis, MATLAB
- Analysis of data from field stations
- Science philosophy
- Academic writing
The main emphasis is on intensive group work, and writing a scientific report about the group work after the course. The course is aimed to MSc and PhD students. The main tool is MATLAB.
Profs. Jaana Bäck, Tuukka Petäjä, Timo Vesala and Markku Kulmala are the corresponding teachers. There will be also other lecturers on the course.
- Flat price 1600 EUR
- For MSc students of ABS network partners, the price is covered by the ABS Nordplus network
- For PhD students of the Doctoral Programme in Atmospheric Sciences (ATM-DP), the price is covered by ATM-DP
The fee includes transfers between Helsinki and Hyytiälä, accommodation in two-person rooms, and full board (breakfast, lunch, afternoon coffee, dinner, evening meal) during the course. There is a limited number of travel grants available for participants from ABS partner universities.
Further information and application
The up-to-date information about the course is available at http://www.atm.helsinki.fi/ABS/courses/2015autumnschool.htm. All who are willing to participate on the course have to fill in the application form available at https://elomake.helsinki.fi/lomakkeet/47254/lomake.html by 13 September 2015. Possible questions about the course should be sent email@example.com.
Projects and networks contributing to the Autumn School:
- Master’s Degree Programme in Atmospheric Sciences (ATM-MP)
- Atmosphere-Biosphere Studies network (ABS)
- Doctoral Programme in Atmospheric Sciences (ATM-DP)
- BAECC 2014 campaign
- The Finnish Centre of Excellence in Atmospheric Science (ATM)
- Nordic Centre of Excellence CRAICC
- Nordic Centre of Excellence DEFROST
- Nordic Centre of Excellence SVALI
- Nordic Centre of Excellence eSTICC
- Pan-Eurasian Experiment PEEX
- CLOUD-TRAIN Training Network
- BACCHUS Collaborative Project
- ACTRIS Infrastructure Network
- ICOS Research Infrastructure